Habitat for Humanity of Oakland County offers a homeownership program that helps people move from sub-standard housing to decent, affordable homes. As a Habitat Oakland County future homeowner, we will help you work toward purchasing a decent place to live with an affordable mortgage that creates a situation where you gain strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
BENEFITS OF PURCHASING A HOME WITH HABITAT
- Personalized one-on-one support and coaching to help you through the process
- Assistance applying for down payment assistance when applicable
- Homebuyer education, financial education, home maintenance and landscaping classes
- Homeowner discount to purchase items in our ReStores
- 1 year limited warranty on your new home
HOW CAN I PURCHASE A HABITAT HOME?
To purchase a home through the Habitat program, you must meet the list of baseline criterial below:
- Income limits apply
- You may not currently own a home (even if you do not live there)
- You must have acceptable credit and demonstrate your ability to qualify for an affordable mortgage loan
- You must be willing to make a savings plan to cover the closing costs of your home purchase (if you are not eligible for down payment assistance programs)
- You need to be willing to partner with us and put in 300 hours of sweat equity
Habitat will assist you with your home purchase. First you will need to get pre-qualified from a lending institution. Don’t worry, if you have been turned down before or if you are fearful that your credit is not good enough, there are many lenders out there that have special mortgage products available and are willing to work with you even if you do not have the best credit history.
Ready to take the next step to see if you qualify?
If you have more questions, please visit our FAQ page