At Habitat for Humanity of Oakland County we strive to engage everyone in our Habitat Mission of assisting home buyers on their journey to affordable home-ownership. Although our construction sites and ReStores have age restrictions due to safety reasons, we encourage all ages to immerse themselves in our Mission with a variety of activities.
- Make a Welcome Home Basket for a homebuyer! Some housewarming suggestions are candles, dish towels, hand soap, coasters, etc.
- Make thank you cards for donors and volunteers
- Stock a tool box for a homeowner
- Collect Cans as a fundraiser for Oakland County Habitat for Humanity
- Sign up to provide Christmas gifts to one of our Habitat Homeowners – For more information contact our Partner Support Coordinator, Micah Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organize a Bake Sale and donate the proceeds to Habitat for Humanity of Oakland County.
- Speak to classmates about the work of Habitat Oakland County with the help of an affiliate representative – For more information contact our Volunteer Department at email@example.com
- Shoveling for Shingles – A fundraiser where kids offer to shovel porches and sidewalks for their family & friends during winter months, and then donate their earnings.
- Create a fundraising website for Habitat and ask people to support the Habitat Mission financially – https://www.crowdrise.com/
- Provide and bring lunch or a snack to a Habitat Volunteer Site or ReStore – For more information contact our Volunteer Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make announcements in your church/school club when volunteers are needed
- Create stepping stones for the new homeowners
Make Personalized Stepping Stones
Ages 5 – 8
- Create a Cereal Box Model Habitat Home to help illustrate simple, decent, affordable housing
Download Cereal Habitat Build
- Read one of the children’s books produced by Habitat International: Grandpa’s Hammer, Raising the Roof, Doorway to the World or Building Friends- for younger kids – Books available at Habitat Oakland County Office to check out – contact our Volunteer Department at email@example.com for availability and information.
- Penny Wars – A fundraiser where children divide into teams and compete against each other to collect coins. The team that collects the most money wins!
Ages 8 & up
- Write a prayer for HFHOC to use at a home kickoff or dedication
- Write an essay or story about your Habitat experience
- Write and send letters to your elected officials advocating for affordable housing
Download Specific Advocacy Letter Campaign
- Play SPENT – http://playspent.org to learn about the hardships and challenges of living in poverty.
- Research Habitat for Humanity at https://www.habitat.org/ and fill out our crossword puzzle!
Download Youth Crossword
- Build picnic tables for volunteers to rest at the work sites
Download How to Build a Picnic Table
- Encourage your Student Council or National Honor Society to support Habitat Oakland County
- Making Choices Activity – Learn about the difficult choices that need to be made on a low-income through this candy filled lesson!
Download Making Choices Game
Ages 14 & up
- Volunteer at a Landscaping Day at our office or on a construction site
- Volunteer in our Waterford or Farmington Hills ReStore
- Clean a Habitat Home before the dedication – For more information contact our Volunteer Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read Nickel and Dimed, On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich – Books available at Habitat Oakland County Office to check out – contact our Volunteer Manager, Susie Brumfield, at email@example.com for availability and information.
- Interview a Core Volunteer or a Homeowner and write an article – For more information contact our Volunteer Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No one under the age of 14 can be on a construction site or volunteer at the ReStores.
- Ages 14 through 17 years old may only participate in tasks that are exclusively landscaping and painting. Ages 14-17 cannot work on general construction activities. While they may be on site, they are not allowed to use power tools until they turn 18 years old. They may work in our ReStores.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old in order to participate in general construction.
- Regardless of age all youth must have adult supervision.